Sunday, February 26, 2006

Comment moderation

Well, the open blog experiment was interesting, but things are starting to get a little out of control. We just got a white power racist spam posted as a comment (it's been deleted, don't bother looking). Don't those people have anything better to do with their time?

So I'm closing things up a little. I've turned on comment moderation. Members' comments get approved automatically. Non-members' comments will be e-mailed to me for approval before they get posted to the blog. I thought this would require some trickiness on my part, but it turned out that's the way Blogger works by default, so it was easy as pie.

I'll try to look through and approve the non-member comments daily, but I make no guarantees. I reserve the right to go on a month-long vacation without notifying anyone, during which time no comments would be allowed at all except for members.

5 Comments:

At February 26, 2006, Blogger aumeye said...

Thank you for taking care of us, Jules! Glad to hear the moderation function is easier than you anticipated. Now, that month-long vacation sounds like a good idea.

 
At February 26, 2006, Blogger Jules said...

cromanyak: Yeah, it's possible, and thanks for asking. I doubt moderation will be a big job since members comments aren't subject to moderation, and almost everybody who's commenting is a member.

I'm also not going to approve new members anymore unless they have a long history of contributing interesting comments to the discussions going on here.

So if there's enough valuable non-member commenting to justify it, I'll ask for a volunteer to moderate when I go on vacation.

 
At February 26, 2006, Blogger Kalki Weisthor said...

I've had to clear a lot of crap out of my blog as well. Pain in the butt.

Has anyone had trouble loading this site into their RSS feed? I added it to my Yahoo page, and it displays the blog entry titles but not the Flapping Mouths title. Me, blogger or Yahoo?

 
At February 26, 2006, Blogger Derek (formerly 'me') said...

I'm wondering what folks think about the following: some of us write interesting (to us anyway) pieces for our own blogs, and some of us probably get very few readers (like my own, which is a new blog anyhow).

When I wrote my post on Zen and evolution, I made a post here to direct interested readers to my blog & then all the discussion ensued here. This worked fine. And thanks again to all those who provided feeback and confused me thoroughly! It's good to have one's views jostled about...

What about this idea - rather than directing folks to one's own blog, simply copying the entire post and posting it here. The result would be longer more well-written posts here (do people want this, or is this more of a bulletin board discussion group) BUT this would mean posts are duplicated from our personal blogs to this group blog...

thoughts? or comments in general on the interest of longer-written posts here?

 
At February 28, 2006, Blogger Jules said...

What cromanyak said. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home